What's the worst thing that can happen to a foodie? Of course, except diseases. To find out it has food allergies or intolerances. At the end of April, after receiving some not so good blood analysis, I decided to investigate what was causing them. This led to finding out I have 12 food intolerances and I needed to be on a diet for two months while taking some homeopathic medicine.
Of course I put it off until exactly one month ago. I didn't want to be on a restrictive diet while on holiday, but did exercise some moderation and cut a few things out completely. However I wanted to hold the diet in summer because of the abundance of fresh fruit.
Here is a list of everything I'm intolerant to:
- Soft cheese (I'm aloud to eat aged cheese and mozzarella)
- Soy (this really hurt, because I was already replacing a lot of dairy products with soy products)
- Wheat ( If you know me, you know I love bread so this was devastating. However I'm not allergic to gluten so yay for that)
- Tea ( I almost cried for this, I have drunk green tea daily for the last 6 years at least)
- Coffee ( this was also pretty bad, but not as bad as tea)
- Honey (why?)
- Sugar of any kind ( Do you know how hard it is to avoid sugar? It's in everything)
- Cacao ( again, why???)
- Legumes (beans, chickpeas, peas, etc.)
You can imagine that before starting this diet, I ate like a cow everything that wasn't permitted anymore. However, like I mentioned, there were a few things I excluded almost immediately and those were : tea, coffee, honey and legumes. I don't drink milk, but ate a lot of ice cream.
It all sounds pretty dramatic, but it isn't really. Because I'm not allergic to gluten, I was able to eat a lot of spelt pasta, quinoa and rice, which I already ate. I'm going to share today what I've been eating.
Spelt pasta al forno.
Sushi, sashimi and tartare without the soy sauce. The rice has a bit of sugar in it, so it's like cheating a bit.
Prawns salad and black rice with prawns, avocado, goji berries.
Frozen yogurt with raspberries. This is cheating a bit because it has some sugar.
Rye toast with avocado, scrambled eggs with spinach and a side of tomatoes.
Bresaola, prosciutto and cheese platter with tomatoes.
Burger in lettuce.
Gyros without the bread.
Yogurt with fruit, pistachios avoiding the chocolate.
Mixed greens salad with red onion, tomatoes, avocado, feta and tuna.
Rye bread with avocado, eggs and feta.
Nodini with tomatoes.
Grilled veggies and meat with salad and chips.
Spelt piadina with avocado, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.
Spelt caserecce with pesto.
Roasted chicken and potatoes.
Cabbage salad with roasted chicken, tomatoes and avocado.
Spelt Lasagna .